Saturday, September 20, 2008

Saturday Night Rain Fever


Listen to the pouring rain / listen to it pour,
And with every drop of rain / you know I love you more
Let it rain all night long / Let my love for you go strong,
As long as we're together / Who cares about the weather?
Listen to the falling rain,
Listen to it fall.

"Rain" by Jose Feliciano

Saturday evening. 9:15 pm EST.

Spent the whole day in the garden, from 10:30 am onwards, preparing the existing lawn in the back yard for the sowing of the last of the grass seeds. The seeds I sowed last Saturday have responded excellently and everywhere patches of green are showing through the yellow straw on the newly created lawn. I kept the ground moist all week and am delighted that the seeds have responded so well, and so quickly. At 8 o’clock, as I took the meat of the grill, we were just making burgers and an Italian antipasta salad, it was just me and M, the boys are gone to Lexington for the evening, a Kaapse mot reentjie, misty rain, started to fall.

During dinner the rain started to get more urgent and after 10 minutes of soft rain and for the next 10 to 15 minutes, my garden must have thought liquid gold was falling from the air as the rain came pouring down. Much, much needed rain! It eventually rained for about an hour, more rain fell tonight than in the past 3 months here in Kentucky. Kentucky has been very dry this year.

After dinner M and I, magies vol, pensies dik, took our after-dinner cup of coffee, mine laced with the last of the KWV 10 year-old brandy she brought from South Africa in January, outside and just sat there, on the porch, and listened to the falling rain on the zinc roof.

While blogging in the bottom half of the monitor I am also watching the battle for the Log o’ Wood, the Ranfurly Shield, the game between Wellington and Auckland played earlier today in New Zealand, which was, there goes the final whistle, comprehensively won by Wellington.

It rained for nearly 2 hours and with the soil thoroughly drenched, my plans for doing the annual over-seeding tomorrow in the front yard can not be better. Thanks to unforecasted rain. The garden is happy. I’m happy.

Now for watching the second half of the WP vs Griquas game I started to watch last night, but stopped to watch a movie on TV.

No comments: