A pan of roasted vegetables
· Slice 1 Spanish or yellow onion into thin slices, put in a bowl and pour about a ¼ cup of olive oil over the onions and massage the oil into the onions with your fingers. (Yeah, get those fingers greasy.)
· 1 Green bell pepper, remove seeds and roughly chop into 1 inch pieces
· 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and mashed.
· 3-4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
· Fresh Rosemary, oregano, basil and lots of thyme. Any combination will do.
· Salt and pepper
· Olive oil for grilling and frying
· Brush eggplant pieces lightly with olive oil (do not add any salt) and grill the eggplant for about 4 minutes on each side. You must get nice grill marks and the eggplant must feel soft to the touch, but still firm. Set aside
· Heat the oven to 375 ºF
· Heat a little oil in a skillet on the stove
· Flavor the zucchini and the yellow squash lightly with salt and pepper and fry them until they get a golden color on both sides
· Now layer the casserole
· Put the eggplant at the bottom of a casserole dish and then add the zucchini, the squash, the green bell peppers, the onions and lastly the tomatoes
· Add the herbs on top. No need to chop them.
· Cover and bake for about 45 minutes. Remove cover and continue to bake for another 15 minutes.